09 December, 2008

My life at Nirma – Saukem, Porbandar ! ! !

Yes, the journey has been transcending and I hope it will continue to be so. Life here in Nirma is altogether different than what I used to live in Rajkot during fascinating college life. As an engeneeroid, I used to get so many chances to do so many things, cult-fest, tech-fest, sports events, submission tension, viva havocs, and practical nightmares, late night reading and chai-theplas (at shreeji on kalawad road and joker gathiya and thepla-suki bhaji at suryakant) & kharis, goof-ups, masti, kick-ups, booze parties and what not. Pumped-up parties, rock shows and garba nights in college had its own glamour and has an indelible footprints in my heart. I still cherish them. Listening to linkin park, nirvana, guns n roses, enigma, rasmus, and lots of such rocking music in my 2000 Watt music system. All this is passé now for me. Everything is vanished, everything, like college life enjoyment has come to an end. But then, it has to go in this way only.
Now I m a professional and have learned a lot and it certainly has made a lot of difference in the way I think and perceive things. My behaviour to wards my colleges(and my friends too), society and specially towards my family members has changed a lot.

The most important learning for me has been about how to live without the comfort that your parents provide you and how to deal with it. Initially, it was difficult but as time passed by we have to get over it. Yes, I still miss home and specially college life at Rajkot very much but then, who doesn’t.

The main problem here in Saukem is eatery. Food provided in the mess, on the company’s subsidy is something that a normal human being just can’t swallow. so myself, Chirag and Devendra have started Rameshbhai’s tiffin service. It’s nice, bit tasty and at least swallow-o-ble. The good, not the best thing about the tiffin service is, it provides wafers. And we all love it.

Working in company, Oops, the nightmare came true. Really, no doubt, I had always a reverie about, being an electrical engineer I will work in company and in fields for power transmission company. But after getting selected in campus in Nirma Chemicals, and specially after coming to Porbandar in Saukem, I met the reality. Working in shifts, and changing of it every week was like putting your leg every week in cow’s stool. Working in the factory arena is good, but the way we work over there is bit awkward. It’s altogether a different story. I have Tuesday as my weekly off, from every Wednesday, my shift changes, A shift- morning six to afternoon two, B-after noon two to night ten, And C-night ten to morning six. The bloodiest shift is morning one, and the creamy is C. as you might be knowing, engineers are owls. Right ? The only problem with C aka night shift is, mosquitoes. They bite us like hell. On hands, on ass, on legs and where not yaar.

But yes, this is a company and I’m the employee. I have to work and provide a solution of a fault using my technical skills. I’m a staff member, not a worker. I get a salary and not a wage. I have to be more mature, and more ethical and authentic in my behaviour. I can’t loose my temper; I can’t just have a fight with my colleague and shout at him in vulgar slang. Even at night, in wee hours, no matter how much harsh the condition is, I’ve to remain polite with my colleagues and workers.

To write about what I have felt and been through in these four and a half months (to be exact) will take many pages but I hope that my life at SauKem continues to be more and more knowledge-o-ble and full of life-time-experience.

4 comments:

Meena Popat said...

Hi.My name is Mrs. Meena Popat and I have studied in Birla Sagar school till my 12th Std.(Batch of 1980).
I read your working experience at Nirma,formerly known as Birla.
Your writing is refreshing.Had many class-mates that worked there and shared similar experience lke yours.
But Ces't La Vie...
By the way is it any way there is e-mail address of the administrative dept. If so could you lz. provide me at meenapopat@yahoo.com.
By the way I still have very strong links with my dear old school and both top teachers of the school.They are Mr. Bloch and Mr. Dashottar who are Principal and Vice-Principal respectively.
All the best for your career.
Meena Popat

Sujay Kumar Roy said...

Hi, 13 years ago just like you I had joined SAUKEM straight out of the college into the dry section. I survived there for 3.5 months before I hopped on to the next job at Baroda.
The food at the bachelor's hostel was cooked by an Assamese cook (not sure of his name). We used to play Badminton a lot and occasionally spend time at the beach.
None the less, I have some dreamy remembrance of the plant. Recently while driving down to Dwarka stopped for a while near the hostel (paying homage). Just like you I came from the world of Pink Floyd to SAUKEM where I had myself become an alien. Understand your feelings.
But any one who works in SAUKEM and leaves the place early makes a great career. You look on for good opportunities (and plan for a homage 12 years hence) Ciao.

RANJAN said...

HI............
I am gna join SAUKEM as a chemical engineer GET in few months.But the salary is just 8500/- per month.I am plannong to skip that.Should i join or not???Pz rply

Unknown said...

i want to apply for the job as a civil engg at saukem, can u pls help over it n can give me hr email id so dat i can mail my resume...